Dealing With Claim Of Sexual Misconduct In The Workplace.

An employee has a legal right pertaining to Sexual harassment or sexual misconduct. When an employee complains about sexual misconduct the employer needs to use all the right channels to investigate and find out about the claims thoroughly. The employer, in this case, has no authority whatsoever to make conclusions on his/her own.

How to Handle Sexual Harassment in the Workplace

The first thing you need to do as an organisation you need to inform all your employees that such characteristics are prohibited and can never be tolerated in the workplace. This will help you handle the issue with ease. This means that as an employer you need to have a policy that is related to sexual misconduct and inform your employees that in case any arises it must be investigated. Sexual harassment is a form of discrimination and needs to be treated seriously.

You also need to provide your employees with different ways in which they can handle such cases formally. Employees can be directed to report such complaints either to the CEO, the manager the HR or both. Such ways will help you as an employee handle sexual misconduct complaints professionally without interference.

Appoint one staff from your organisation and assign him with the responsibility of owning such complaints. The staff needs to be knowledgeable about the history of the organisation and its take on sexual misconduct characters.

After all these, always come up with a plan on how you can handle such complaints. For instance, you can pick a few individuals from the workplace who can help you investigate the whole issue from the initial complaint. As an employer remember to get all the necessary information from the employee.

The last next step is to assure the person who was complaining that everything else has been filed and investigations are underway. Also, assure him that such acts will not be tolerated at the workplace and ask them to be patient as the investigations are ongoing. It is also important to assure the complaint that the issue will be handled fairly and just. This is the last step, as the employer takes every piece of information that you have received in relation to the complaints and makes decisions.

You can consult with the HR, CEO or HR in making the decision in relation to the information you have. After that it is necessary to consult with the relevant authorities this may including a solicitor,  just to make sure that you are handling the whole issue fairly in relation to the information you have gathered.

In conclusion, remember the attorney must support the direction you are taking as an organisation.

Disclaimer: The contents of this article are for information purposes only and should not be relied upon as formal legal advice. We cannot accept responsibility for any loss as a result of acts or omissions taken in respect of this article. Specific legal advice should be sort tailored to the individual circumstances in all cases.

For any information relating to our services please give us a call and we will be very happy to help.

For any information relating to our services please give us a call and we will be very happy to help.

We can be contacted 24 hours a day.

Our Head Office address is:

Davidson House
Forbury Square,
Reading, Berkshire,
0118 914 5622

Bristol Tel: 0117 321 7700
High Wycombe Tel: 01494 611236
Oxford Tel: 01865 565325
Swindon Tel: 01793 467124
Kingston Tel: 02080 176207
Richmond Tel: 01748 883585
Chelsea Tel: 02080 176205
Guildford Tel: 01483 958228
Mayfair Tel: 02080 176208
Basingstoke Tel: 01256 675124
Harrow Tel: 02080 176206
Slough Tel: 0175 3911813
Watford Tel: 01923 923161
Twickenham Tel: 02080 176209
Fax:  0118 900 1656

Contacting DPH Legal by email

Have you found an inaccuracy in our content?

Have trouble using our website?

Interested in joining our team?

Have a suggestion on how we can be even better?

Have a general enquiry? or you can use our contact form.

    We can be contacted 24 hours a day.
    Our Reading Head Office address is:

    Davidson House
    Forbury Square
    RG1 3EU
    0118 914 5622
    07850 952245